A Journey Through the Peace Corps (Hopefully)

At the moment, I am working as a TEFL Peace Corps volunteer in a small village in Agdash, Azerbaijan.

Monday, April 18, 2011

More Medical Mayham!

So I sent in my medical and called it Done!  Except...apparently..it wasn't.  Well actually it was, however, the important part (my physical exam) got misfiled.  So I got an update telling me my application was no longer current as I hadn't sent them the correct information.  Needless to say, I freaked out just a wee, teensy bit at the thought of nearly three years of my life going down the drain due to a filing mistake.  So after I stopped screeching, I ran (literally) over to the doctors office at 4.50 on a Friday afternoon and begged the poor ladies at the front to please find my Peace Corps medical papers!  Well after turning the whole place topsy turvey, they found my papers, but couldn't give them to me as a doctor hadn't signed off on them.  I had to come back Monday morning... *insert sobbing*
  I was there at 8am when they opened on Monday, snatched those papers, stuffed them in an envelope, and sent them off, praying that God would finally have mercy on me.  Well, God didn't.  I waited for them to update my application, making it current again, but there was nothing.  I called the PC medical office in DC and asked what was going on, and promptly got switched from a real live person, to voicemail.  I repeated this process for a week until they called me back...at 6AM.  I was asleep and missed it.  After waking up, I spent the morning calling the voicemail begging them to call me again, promising that I would answer on the first ring and had my phone right next to me, so pleaaase call me, pleasepleaseplease!  Low and behold, they did!!  The nice girl who answered told me that any piece of mail that gets sent to a gov't agency has to go through an extensive security process, one that can take up to 3 weeks!!  Luckily, she knew I was supposed to be leaving in about 1 1/2 months, and gave me her direct number so that when my letter had been cleared and reunited with my medical packet, she could help me get it through quick.  (I wish I knew this girls name, I need to send her a fruit basket or something.)  So now i'm waiting again, but it's not so bad now that I know there is someone there to help me.  Also, I promise to update the econd half of my medical experience soon, pinky promise!  Cheers All!

No comments:

Post a Comment