| Ah Beloit, you gave me so much good music |
Ok, this may seem like a strange topic, but I've noticed that music plays a really important part in surviving Peace Corps. My mother, a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nepal back in the late 70's, often told me about how she would always ask her sitemate (who had a guitar) to play Jethro Tull's 'Locomotive Breath'. To this day she loves that song, and it reminds her of her time in PC. For me, the two songs that so far are my "Peace Corps Songs", are 'Some Nights' by Fun, and 'Gangnam Style" by PSY.
I know at least some of you groaned when you saw 'Gangnam Style', but what can I say? It's everywhere! I see it on T.V. hear it on the news, on commercials, on telephones, and my host brother is obsessed with the song, and sings it constantly. So yeah, I will always think of Azerbaijan when I hear that song in future. 'Some Nights' just feels like America to me. I'm not very patriotic and definitely not nationalistic; but the fact remains that America is where I grew up, and that music makes me think of a warm summer night in the Midwest. It makes me relax and just seems to say, "home", when I am anywhere but. Anybody else have special travel/Peace Corps music?
No comments:
Post a Comment