So, the longer I am here, the more I realize just how lucky I got. Let me start at the beginning. Coming into Quito, the lines for immigration are very long, and usually take 45+ minutes, I was there for more than an hour, and I wasn't more than 1/3 back in the line, (So if you are visiting Quito, schedule that time into your trip) Immigration was fairly simple, and I had nothing that required more paperwork, so I was able to get out just before minnight. The UBECI person was easy enough to spot, and had a sign w/ my name on it. They drove me to my homestay (all of them are in the south) and I ended up in Mayra's house. Now my room (which I love and also find hilarious) is also the kids playroom, so half the room is just toys, and I have Hello Kitty and Disney Princesses on my wall, while the colour scheme is pink and purple. And you know what? I love that room! It has a good bed, lots of drawers, and a huge window.
Now Mayra is my host mother, and she lives here with her husband and 2 children, Allison (7) and Jose (2). She speaks English well, is studying tourism, and is increadably kind and thoughtful. Also, I have to mention that the food is absolutely increadable. (Seriously, the food is among the best I've ever had) This was my first piece of luck. As I have talked to other volunteers here, the most common complaint has been the food, most of the complaints I have heard have come from the Volunteer House, the kindest being that the food is "bad enough that I need to buy a new belt" (as he had lost so much weight) The second complaint I heard was about the noise. The noise from the street is constant, but after a day or so, you don't really notice it. (and to me it's actually somewhat comforting) But again, at the Volunteer House, the complaint is that the walls are really thin and you can hear everything through them. In my house, I hear nothing except from the street, and that isn't bad at all. However, there are advantages to staying at the Volunteer House, chief among those is that you meet other volunteers. There are at least 7 that stay there, and if you like to party and go out on the town, then that might be the place for you, as they have things going on almost every night. As for me, I'm not a party girl, and I have so much work to do with Spanish lessons, my classes at the school, and TEFL, that I don't have enough time as is. So I really don't miss out.
The second thing I really lucked out on was the woman I was replacing at the school, was in the same house as me and I had several days with her. Unfortunately, if you are teaching English as an assisstant, they don't really give you much help. For Stacy (the woman I was taking over for) they literally just dropped her at the front of the school, and that was it. UBECI focuses a lot more on the Market Children Program, and there are a lot more people, so you have more support. Luckily for me, I had Stacy. She took me to the school and introduced me around and showed me how to get there and back again on the bus. I really would hate to think of where I'd be without her. I also went to Mindo (another story) over the weekend, and she told me all about pretty much everything she knew about Quito and the school, as well as how to handle the students. I would have been completely lost without her, bith literally and figuratively. As for right now, I need to get back to studying my Spanish. Adios, I'll write again later!
No comments:
Post a Comment