A Journey Through the Peace Corps (Hopefully)

At the moment, I am working as a TEFL Peace Corps volunteer in a small village in Agdash, Azerbaijan.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Now I'm Scared

So now I am trying to get in touch with the Peace Corps Placement Office.  I have run into so many problems since starting this that I want to make sure that they have all my info and aren't missing anything.  I am also terrified as this is the most competitive part of the process.  About 12,000 people apply every year for about 4,000 available spots.  Only 8,000 are accepted and begin the process, and others are knocked out in the medical review.  However, by the time the placement office gets the file, there are still roughly 2 applicants up for every available spot.  I wish I could accurately spell out how much it frightens me that I might not get picked.  However, I do know that if I don't get picked, I will up my skill set, maybe in building, maybe in medical, in language, anything I have to in order to get an invite to serve.  I know I will not stop until I actually have a paper in my hand telling me when I am leaving and where I am going to serve in the Peace Corps.  That still doesn't make it any less scary though.

No comments:

Post a Comment